Broke but tired of looking at the blank walls all day long? You don’t need to spend a single penny to change the look and feel of your home. With a little time and a lot of imagination, you can create a brand new room in just a couple of hours.
1. Hang something on the wall. If you can’t afford (or are not allowed to) paint the walls, your next best option is to cover them. Use a nail or double-sided tape and hang a colorful rug on the wall.
2. Move things around. Repurpose furniture for other rooms, use sheets as curtains or use a bookcase as a clothing shelf. Change the layout of your room to bring attention to a different corner.
3. Place houseplants on windowsills and tables. If you have a large potted plant outdoors, consider bringing it again and placing it next to the sofa.
4. Visit the dollar store. Not technically free, but can’t afford a few one-dollar items? Get frames or mirrors to place on your walls or a chair pad to change the color scheme on your kitchen without changing the big items.
5. Look for a few large items, rather than lots of knick-knacks. Larger items have more of a visual impact, while small things can make a place look cluttered.